Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Art By Committee: Blue Robe Results

The other day someone asked me, “Is that sketch game on Wednesdays just for professionals? Are they all your friends? Does someone have to be a member of an exclusive club to participate?"


A lot of sketch games are set up that way, but not this one. Everyone is eligible; you don’t have to join a club; and I post every submission, not just the cream of the crop. It just happens to be a great crop! Many of the contributors are professionals, but a lot are students or people who do art just for fun.
For those new to Art By Committee, your mission is to illustrate an authentic excerpt from a science fiction novel. This week’s quote brought out everyone’s best, as you can see below:
Dave Harshberger

Jenn Morris

Rob Hummer


Michelle L.

Roberta Baird
Jen Zeller

Art Keegan

Tyler Davis

Jess Ellwood

Rose Dawson

Susan Adsett

And, from the original sketchbook, the one by me, my wife Jeanette, and James Warhola.

Now, here’s next week’s challenge: “...selection, so that evolution had leaped. Somehow all that other people noticed about her particular subspecies was its supposed simian characteristic.”


Please scale your JPG to around 700 pixels across. Title it with your name, send it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC, and let me know in your email if you want me to link to your blog or website. Please have your entries in by next Tuesday at noon.

Previous Art By Committees, Link.

Tomorrow: Last Dino Art Workshop

4 comments:

Grangry said...

These really are fun! I like the 'reversal' of the quote, the boy watching TV and the chap with the iPOD especially. I've been lurking here for some time. I did a picture this week but I couldn't figure out how to send it, so I put it on my blog here:
http://smockeryfridays.blogspot.com/2008/04/blue-robe.html

James Gurney, thank you for this blog. I'm working my way through it back to front, so much information for an aspiring artist like me and totally fascinating.

James Gurney said...

Hi, Kay Susan,
Yes, I loved the 'reversal' solutions, too. Thanks for the nice things you said. I don't use the term 'lurking' for people who read without commenting. Let's just call them 'readers.' That's perfectly OK. People don't have to chime in, but if they feel moved to do so, it's always fun to hear another perspective.

After looking at your smocking blog, I have a new appreciation for that technique. Are artists' smocks called that because they were made with smocking?

Sarah Stevenson said...

I love Jenn Morris's contribution. And I can't believe it but I forgot to participate this week, after all my big talk about joining in for sure--I have no excuse other than fuzzy-headedness. This time I'm back, I promise.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna do a chameleon for the 'he turned orange with anticipation' one, but school got in the way. Haaaugh...

Ah, and school is still in the way, so I'll have to sit these out for a while. =(

-- Tidah