Monday, April 9, 2018

Painting the view out the window


(Link to Video on YouTube)
It's a rare snowfall in April. I want to paint the view out the diner window while showing a little of the interior space as well.


The challenge is to figure out how to represent the relative tonal values. Even though I'm seeing a lot of dark values outside the windows when my eyes adjust, it helps me to make everything outside lighter than it appears. Gouache lends itself well to this kind of painting, because it lets you precisely control values.

Beyond that, it's a matter of getting the perspective right and then working out a way to use the brush to suggest the infinite randomness and complexity of the the scene outside.

More:
Gouache tutorial video download "Gouache in the Wild"
Gouache in the Wild on DVD 
Check out my new Facebook Group page, "Sketch Easel Builders."

6 comments:

Alan Anderson said...

A master of your craft! I enjoy watching your use of the synthetic blush, flat and on edge!

Tom Hart said...

Another in a long line of great videos, packed with information. I have two questions: First, about your mention of avoiding straight white. Is that a rule that you follow without fail, or were you referring to this painting in particular? I seem to find that there are times - usually that touch of highlight - when straight white seems to be required. Second - something I've been curious about for awhile: What happens when the food comes? Does painting temporarily cease?

James Gurney said...

Tom, yes, it's pretty much axiomatic for me not to use tube white, even in highlights. A little cad yellow will make a highlight look brighter than white. It's similar to photographers trying to avoid clipping.
When the food comes the painting stuff gets quickly set aside, then I eat it fairly quickly and get back to the painting.

Lauren F-M said...

I love this! You are so inspiring! Question: what did you do the light blue underpainting with?

James Gurney said...

Lauren, that's ultramarine blue casein tinted with white casein.

michaellonfeldt said...

Thanks for the tips - helped me solve perspective issues I had in some of my works.

BR Michael
https://artbylonfeldt.dk